As a Cloud Engineer, it has been my responsibility to:
I am a Technology Executive who has worked in Information Technology in the United States for 28 years. I am a US Citizen, and a devout follower of Jesus Christ.
I began supporting Novell Netware (CNE) and Microsoft Windows servers (MCSE) right out of College in the early 1990s. During the mid 1990s I was involved in a very large Peoplesoft ERP implementation project where I picked up and mastered HP-UX skills. In 1996 a project I was working on required a monitoring tool and I suggested deploying it on Red Hat Linux. At the time, Linux in the enterprise data center was unheard of, and my success using Linux meant that I would recommend it repeatedly over the years. As I would jokingly tell people afterwards, I was working with Linux when the Penguin was in diapers. In the early 2000s, I led one of the most capable UNIX Server Engineering Teams in the Midwest, at Northwestern Mutual. I also led their data center move from a server perspective from their Milwaukee to their Franklin Campus. From there, I went on to introduce Linux to several very large enterprises, including United Airlines, which saved over $100MM by moving to Linux, and Blue Cross Blue Shield Association which saved at least $25MM by switching. Along the way, I picked up numerous other supporting skills including VCS Clustering, VMWare virtualization, Amazon AWS and Azure Cloud. Between 2010 and 2017 I led the Linux Server Engineering teams for Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and Zebra Technologies. During this time, I worked very closely with their CISOs on numerous Cyber Security projects and initiatives. Since March 2020 I have been working at Citadel Securities, a $53 Billion Hedge fund as one of their primary Server builders, implementing tens of thousands of servers, using the next generation of server deployment technologies.
While I love technology, I love business, finance, economics, management and leadership even more. I have been attempting to pivot my career increasingly into leadership and management roles. I am an extrovert --- a people person. My Myers-Briggs personality type is : EXECUTIVE (ESTJ-T) My career goals are lofty but achievable, and all end up in the C-Suite or Boardroom. I am foremost a big picture person -- a technology executive with real world business experience and smarts, with credentials from Harvard Business School to back it up
A Copy of my Resume can be found here:
- Architect, Engineer, Support, Monitor and Maintain Cloud-based solutions.
- Helped troubleshoot numerous AWS and Azure Linux server deployments of all flavors: Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux, Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, AMI Linux, Tails, CentOS, Fedora, Kali and others.
- It has been my responsibility to take an existing on-premises financial middleware solution and move it en-mass to the cloud using AWS technologies.
- It has been my responsibility to migrate on-prem data center infrastructure, including physical and virtualized (VMWare ESXi hosted) database servers, web servers, middleware, file servers and other components to the Cloud (AWS and Azure)
As a Virtualization Engineer, it has been my responsibility to:
- Architect, Engineer, Support, Monitor and Maintain VMware based solutions.
- Deployed ESXi Servers, VCenters, VRO, VRA, SRM and other VMware solutions
- Deployed and maintain numerous Windows and Linux server deployments of all flavors: Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux, Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, AMI Linux, Tails, CentOS, Fedora, Kali and others.
- Plan and Virtualize bare metal workloads onto VMware
- Plan and deploy SRM and other VMware DR solutions
As a Data Center Relocation Lead, it has been my responsibility to:
- Inventory all assets --- physical, virtual and software
- Prepare a dependency list of moves
- Inventory and assess all LAN and storage move requirements
- Document any Cloud connectivity requirements
- Assess, analyze and certify new data center for power, air-conditioning and airflow requirements
- Eliminate single points of failure (SPOF)
- Prepare VISIO and other documentation for source and target data centers
- Prepare migration timeline in co-ordination with stakeholders
- Carry out migrations in waves and post-migration checkouts
As a Security Engineer, it has been my responsibility to:
- Architect, Engineer, Support, Monitor and Maintain safe computer networks, servers, desktops and a secure Enterprise Computing Environment using the latest and greatest Security tools in the market.
- Monitor threats and vulnerabilities (CVEs) and remediate or mitigate them with patches, bug fixes, code changes, firmware, hardware, or OS and software version upgrades.
- Deploy Security Agents across the Enterprise and utilize the same to evaluate security holes, lapses, as well as threats internal as well as external
- Drive process improvements to reduce risk and/or improve operational efficiency
Remediate findings from internal as well as external assessments
- Perform periodic penetration testing in order to validate remediation effectiveness
- Lead the implementation of select new security technologies
- Lead the charge in incident response activities including forensic investigations
- Implement and maintain security tools across the enterprise as well as private, public, and hybrid clouds, including, Qualys, Nessus, Rapid7, iptables, Secunia, SCAP, CrowdStrike, LogRhythm, Satellite Server 5.6, 6.0; UNIX/ Linux Patching, SCCM, ServiceNow, and Altiris.
As a Disaster Recovery Manager, it has been my responsibility to:
- Perform Enterprise-wide Risk Assessments and Business Impact Analysis
- Eliminate all Single Points of Failure (SPOF) within current Production Environment
- Catalog and Inventory all Applications and their Recovery Point Objective (RPO) and Recovery Time Objective (RTO)
- Create Mission-Critical Application recovery order
- Plan, procure and deploy Hot Sites and Remote Site infrastructure
- Design and deploy real-time (SRDF, TruCopy etc) and near-real-time data replication as well as offsite and offline (tape) rotations with DR vendors such as Iron Mountain
- Plan the failover and recovery of virtualized VMware infrastructure using SRM.
- Plan the people side of Business Continuity (Workflow and Notification Procedures, seating at remote sites etc.)
- Conducting actual recovery exercises
- Documenting time taken to recover each component during exercise, document failures or gaps and planning for remediation or plan of action for next exercise.
As a Team Leader / IT Manager it has been my responsibility to:
- Co-ordinate with HR in all aspects of personnel management
- Search for talent, interview, hire and onboard personnel
- Perform periodic performance evaluations, approve timecards, plan team vacations, plan team training as well as on-call schedules
- Fire, release and terminate personnel
- Plan an annual departmental budget
- Lead and guide IT projects from inception to completion
- Co-ordinate ITIL compliance and maintain an Enterprise Change Calendar
- Maintain and manage a ServiceDesk queue
- Conduct software licensing and compliance audits as well as hardware asset inventories
- Develop, issue and evaluate RFPs and response from RFPs from vendors
- Maintain healthy vendor relationships .